Liechtenstein : A half-hearted rejection

Sunday, November 27, 2005, posted by jon at 9:39 PM | 0 comments

Liechtenstein, my proposed adopted country, are enormously efficient which, to be honest, it's a virtue I much admire in a nation state. Readers to this site will know that not many hours have passed since I applied for an Olympic place and yet, there in my inbox, is a polite reply, reading :

"Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for your interest in our country and especially in our sports.
Unfortunately it is not possible for you to compete for our country in Olympic Games.
Not only that the Olympic rules demand the citicenship of the country the athlete is competing for, but we also strictly support our national athletes. Sorry for that.

Enjoy your sports and good luck to you.

Kind regards
Monika Lang-Plüss
DIENSTSTELLE FÜR SPORT"

Well now. On the face of it, this rather looks like I've been turned down. But, look closely, there's still avenues to explore hidden within this political reply.

They will only support their national athletes : mmm... but I will be self-supporting and thus cost nothing
I'm not a Liechtensteiner : mmm... but I'm prepared to become one as you, dear reader, well know.

So, the door is not closed. I've written back to Monica to explain my position more clearly - in German of course, a language I don't speak. Well, you've got to show willing haven't you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home